Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 2, or is it 3?

I'm depressed with humanity.
It's as simple as that.
I'm reading The Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle and it's a really great book, but I'm 337 pages in, 20 pages from the end, and every single word feels as if it's not printed on paper, but rather burned into my brain with the hatred of humanity. I'm not so angry with the hate and rascism of the fictional characters, but rather depressed with the reality of what's being portrayed.
Sure, you can say I'm being "overly sensitive" or whatever you'd like to justify you're view of the world. But the truth is that in every person, there is some evil in them. A desire to turn their backs on the helpless, a thoughtless hatred driven by selfish views, a want to care only about themselves. And I am not excluding myself from this. You think I wouldn't rather buy a new ipod than donate money to some dirty bum? I would, and I'm ashamed. I want to do something to make everything alright. I want to volunteer, donate, write poetry. Something to substantiate these feelings I have.
But then again I don't. It would be so much easier just to try to forget that I ever read this book. Easier to push this guilt to the back of my head. And here I am, worrying about how to make my life more exciting, while the rest of the world is starving and dying. What am I to do?
In fact, I didn't really do anything today. Nothing to better anyone. Not myself, not the people that need it. I started on an "Exciting thing," but I stopped to read this book instead. Maybe this is how I'll make the world better. Knowledge? Is that it? Is that how I stop hate crimes, prevent murders and rapes, how I feed the hungry, and end wars? Who knows. Maybe my teachers are right and that's what I should be focusing on. Focusing on spreading knowledge of the world. But there have been people trying to set the world straight since it became crooked. Or has it always been crooked? And I don't see much of a change for the better.
The point is that, I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm struggling with that same helpless, empty feeling I felt before I started this blog. I guess the only thing I can do, is keep working on and for the Constitution. Find my inspiration and change the world.
Well, if that's what I must do, I suppose I'll go back and finish what I started today. Time to memorize that Pokerap!

No comments:

Post a Comment