Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Obligation

No more TV. That's my obligation. I hate this step. I already miss television, and I haven't even technically given it up yet! It seems stupid, but I love television! I'm like Kenneth from 30Rock!
Speaking of which, for the final day of my boring, TV filled life I watched 7 hours of television today! You may think to yourself, "Wow, that is a waste of seven hours..." and I don't disagree. Or you might think, "Wow, that's impressive," and I don't disagree with that either. But either way it was my final farewell! I deserve one last chance to let my brain turn to mush before I become exciting and adventurous! Because at midnight tonight I will watch TV no more.
I wish I could've thought of something different for the "Big O," but the more I think about it, the more evil television is. Despite my undying love for it, I've noticed a couple of things about the effects of watching TV...
Number 1: Passiveness
I've noticed it in myself and in others. When I see horrors or tradgedies on TV, I just sit there. I may think about it a little bit, but I don't do anything. I just let it go by. As do most of you I suspect! For instance, when you see those sad commercials with the sick kitties and puppies and the cheesy Sarah McLaughlin song do you feel urged to call the number? Probably not. But if your friend told you about a sick puppy they found on the street you would most definitely do something! Right?
Number 2: Consumnerism
Don't deny it. You want a shamwow. Or you have a shamwow. I know I do. And I also know that it's a piece of crap. Seriously, that thing can't soak up anything! But I bought it anyways. I also bought a Snuggie and a StrapPerfect. (The StrapPerfect is actually really useful!) And that's not all. It's not only the commercials advertising cool new doohickeys and thingamabobs, it's also the actual programs! When we see others with stuff, we want it too! Oooooh! Hannah Montana has a hand mirror! I should have a hand mirror! You may not recognize it. But it's true.
Number 3: Un-Motivation (Is that a word?)
Why do the dishes, when you can watch the next episode of White Collar? I mean, you could do it during a commercial I guess. But what happens when you get Netflix and there are no more commercials!?! And what happens when watching one episode of Heros turns into watching six episodes of Heros?? We don't feel motivated to do anything else, when we have the easy option of quick entertainment. Who would?
Number 4: The Man (Don't leave just yet!)
Call me paranoid, call me crazy, but I know that the government is controlling us through the media. There's so much evidence supporting it (See "Number 1"). The government is able to subdue us, lie to us, and control us when we depend so much on television! There is no possible way for a completely objective news station for one. Everybody has their opinions, but when everybody believes that one person's opinion is fact, that's where trouble begins. There are so many more things to say on this topic, but I don't want to scare you away with my conspiracy theories just yet.
So those are a couple of reasons why I chose giving up TV as my Obligation. Hopefully I won't break down and secretly watch it like some sort of addict... Maybe I should put a parental lock on it for myself!
Anyways, I've done it. I've completed the "Big O!!!!"

Also for those of you who were wondering why the last two posts say they were both on August 1st, it's all because I posted the first one a little after midnight last night. Technically today.

No comments:

Post a Comment